There are cosmetics bearing well known trademarks used by most women today. But there also exist certain beauty home remedies made from natural ingredients, which were in vogue in this country a few decades ago and are still used by intelligent women.
The Indispensable Lime for Our Beauty Needs
This well known citrus fruit so commonly used hardly needs any introduction. This fruit has excellent properties and is used in many homemade beauty remedies, and can help you to become lovely by enhancing your good looks and improve your figure. Read on to know how!
1. For very oily skin, squeeze lemon juice in a bowl of iced water. Splash this over the face, massage for five minutes and then wash off with water.
2. To relieve tired eyes, take four tablespoons each of lime juice and iced water. Saturate cotton pads in this water and place over your closed eyelids for 10 minutes.
3. To improve a dull and greasy complexion, mix half teaspoon of lime juice with one teaspoon of cucumber juice and a few drops of rose water. Apply on the face and neck and leave on for 15 minutes then remove with water.
4. To shrink open pores, apply lime juice on the pores on the skin and rinse after 15 minutes.
5. For falling hair, squeeze out the juice of a lime and mix with four tablespoons of thick coconut milk. Rub well into the scalp and let it remain for one hour. Repeat it once a week till you effect a cure.
6. To improve a dry and rough skin, take an egg yolk and mix in a few drops of lime and olive oil. Spread on the face and leave it till the skin feels dry. Wash off with ordinary water and splash on cold water.
7. To lighten your complexion, take one teaspoon each of lime, cucumber and carrot juice. Apply on the face and leave on for 15 minutes before washing off with water.
8. To put a sparkle in your teeth, clean them once a week with lime juice to which a little salt has been added.
9. To remove sun tan, apply lime juice mixed with little rose water on the face before going to bed in the night. Next morning, wash off with water.
10. To remove freckles, blanch and grind two almonds and mix with white of an egg to which half teaspoon of lime juice has been added. Spread on the face and leave on till the skin feels dry. Then, wash off first with warm water and then with cold water.
11. To care a blemished skin, mix two tablespoons of pureed prunes with one teaspoon of lime juice and eat half an hour before going to bed. On this drink a glass of warm water.
12. Plenty of lime juice should be taken each day because the ascorbic acid content of lime helps maintain your teeth, hair, nails and complexion in good condition and guards you against catching colds.
Beauty from Leaves
Many effective beauty aids are made from ordinary leaves. Here are some of them which will help you to maintain a flawless complexion.
13. Bilva Leaves – These are green leaves used in the worship of Lord Shiva. If you are suffering from offensive body odour, grind a handful of these leaves to a paste and apply this paste all over your body half an hour before going in for your bath. Do this twice a week till you see results.
14. Bay Leaves – If you want your teeth to sparkle, rub them twice a week with dry bay leaf and see how women envy your bright smile.
15. Mint Leaves – Wash and grind a few mint leaves to a smooth paste. apply over your face every night before you go to sleep. This helps you to get rid of pimples and blemishes of the skin.
16. Tulsi Leaves – The leaves of Indian Basil Tulsi are very beneficial to the human body. Make a habit of taking a teaspoon of these leaves mixed with honey once a day to put a glow in your cheeks!
Beauty from Milk
17. To make your skin soft and smooth, dip a piece of cotton wool in milk and pat all over your face. Leave on for half an hour and wash off with water. Mix two tablespoons of milk in one teaspoon of salt and apply on the face at bedtime. This makes the skin petal-soft and silken-smooth.
18. To lighten your complexion, grind a couple of almonds in milk and apply on the face at bedtime.
19. To improve a dark and dull complexion, soak chana dal in milk overnight. Next morning, grind to a paste and mix in a pinch of turmeric powder and a few drops of lime juice and leave on for half an hour.
20. To lighten and brighten your complexion, take a tablespoon of milk in one teaspoon each of carrot, orange juice and melted honey. Leave it on for 15 minutes.
21. An excellent mask for a dry and blemished skin is made by taking a tablespoon of gram flour and mixing in a big pinch of turmeric powder, one-fourth teaspoon of orange peel powder, a teaspoon of beaten curd and a teaspoon of milk. Apply on the face and neck. When the skin starts feeling taut, rub it with your hands until it glows. Then, wash with tap water.
22. To make the skin soft and smooth, grind one-fourth teaspoon of chironji to a paste and mix with one-fourth teaspoon each of milk and curd. Leave on for 20 minutes.
23. Another mask for making the skin soft and smooth is prepared by taking one-fourth teaspoon of watermelon, cucumber and gourd seeds and grinding them into a paste in milk. Mix in half a teaspoon of cream or top of milk and a few drops of rose water. Leave on for 20 minutes.
24. To lighten and brighten the skin and improve blood circulation, fry a teaspoon of masoor dal in a teaspoon of olive oil to a red colour, grind to a paste in milk. Apply on face and leave on till the skin feels taut. Then, rub the skin till it glows and wash off.
25. For making the skin fair, grind as small a piece of sandal wood in milk to a paste. Mix in one-fourth teaspoon of turmeric powder and leave on for 20 minutes.
26. To improve a dry and rough skin, take two tablespoons cream of milk and add a teaspoon of almond oil and a few drops of essence of rose. Leave on for half an hour before removing with water.
Besides using milk externally, drink a glass everyday in order to keep your teeth, hair, nails and eyes in good condition and to put a glow into your face.